Tuesday, October 26, 2021
Wednesday, October 13, 2021
CultBSD Plasma Edition , Codename: The Supreme 1st Alpha has been already released as you already know :-)
1) New simple Graphical installer
2) Optimized for better performance
3) Support for old Radeon gpus that needs radeonkms has been completely updated , it may needs still the acpi_video module
4) Volume Icon now is showing up ok
-Needs to be fixed :
a) I forgot some directories that needs to be deleted and takes up more space
b) Need to do some serious cleaning !!!! Sorry :-(
This Project is based on FreeBSD 13
This Project's future depends 100% on you !
a) If you like this Project please leave a positive review on SourceForge Project's Page
b) If you really really want to support this project and you really like it please share it on twitter,reddit and social media
c) If you want to let me know that you really like this Project you could donate 1$ to email@example.com via PayPal
d) Please support my YouTube Channel:
e) Support FreeBSD Foundation please
If there is not enough interest or people don't like it (no reviews on sourceforge) there will be no reason to keep making it , have in mind it is still in its very first steps and its live method ,its scripts and installer application is not based on any other FreeBSD based Projects its 100% made from the start !
Have in mind that i plan to make an OpenBSD based Project also
Wednesday, September 1, 2021
CultBSD new release Codename: UFO Cult
Based on FreeBSD 13
4th pre-Alpha has been uploaded ! Fixed a lot of stuff !
A) New Bug ! Login Theme has a problem please select another one
Go to System Settings / Startup and Shutdown / Login Screen (SDDM) and select breeze.
Our login UFO wallpaper is there:
Only this is compatible
B) When you have installed CultBSD (not on Live) you can add a new user ( i forgot to include this and locales in the script)
You can use Plasma System Settings to create a new user ..... or sudo adduser
To remove previous (cultbsd) user sudo rmuser cultbsd
!! Don't try that on live image !!
C) A not very imprortant mistake i've done is that new users that will be created will have the /home/cultbsd/.local/share/user-places.xbel
from the previous user ! Please rm ~/.local/share/user-places.xbel
To remove places so they can be regenerated.
D) Reinstall octopkg using sudo pkg -f -y octopkg
4th pre-Alpha release notes:
Fixed some bugs and mistakes of mine
1) Removed resolv.conf finally ! I don't know how i forgot to do that i believe its because its generated automatically
2) Installed Network Manager (NetworkMGR ) It will help you connect via ethernet or wireless
3) Installed pulseaudio and plasma5-plasma-pa for pulseaudio
4) Now it has a dock (Latte Dock) and a global menu
5) We have our own splash screen
6) /etc has read /write access now
7) Took a minute before compress it and added support for some radeon hd families that needs radeonkms need to add more
8) Steam is installed (linux emulation fully configured) Play a demanding 3d game please and tell me how it compares to GhostBSD ;-)
9) New applications ... a lot of applications !! OBS-STUDIO , KRITA , OLIVE-VIDEO-EDITOR etc etc
10) We had a bug with Plasma Baloo copying files from other installation sorry , now it will not do it again and also it is disabled :-)
11) You will have at least 800Mbytes on your home directory - IGNORE KDE PLASMA NOTIFICATIONS THAT REPORTS NO FREE SPACE ON HOME !
---What to do after i have downloaded the compressed archive ?
lzma -d cultbsd-4th-prealpha-ufocult.img.lzma
If you don't want to use the terminal uncompress it using
ark for kde/lcqt or file-roller for gnome or engrampa for mate
write it to a usb flash stick or external hdd etc
find your usb device name first : using dmesg|grep da0 or da1
or use this command egrep 'da[0-9]' /var/run/dmesg.boot|grep "<"|sort -u
-Then write it using dd . If your device is da0 (remember they change if you let it plugged in when your reboot)
sudo dd if=cultbsd-4th-prealpha-ufocult.img of=/dev/da0 bs=1M && sync
The image is huge please be sure it has completely written before you unplug the usb if the image is not written well you will have problems.
How to install ???
Click the UFO icon/startmenu , type install you will find an item "Install CultBSD" click it
-----What to do after the installation ? -----
sudo pkg update && sudo pkg install -f -y octopkg && sudo pkg upgrade -y
If you want to run steam , the first time please open it from terminal (Konsole application)
and type steam , wait a bit to install the required stuff, next time just start it from the menu.
You don't have many things to do as it has everything you may need (maybe)
## What needs to be done
0) Fix the broken sddm theme that prevents users from login , i suspect i have selected an incompatible picture file as a background , i will fix it
1) Better installer with more options for user,locale,etc , gui application and more fool -proof and easy installer
2) I need to make it take less space
3) I will create a Welcome application and a cool Software Boutique Application
4) Right now the auto gpu loader/configuration script covers nvidia,intel and newer amd gpus and some old radeon hd families didn't finished it yet so it doesn't load radeon for some older gpus
5) I need to create a seperate application/script to give the ability to clone/backup the installated system to external hdd or usb flash bootable but compressed and with high speed !
(right now you can still backup and clone your already installed system but the performance of the produced media will be very very very bad cause it would be 100% persistent , you could use it to run the installer and restore it to another or your own computer.)
6) I have some ideas about how i can make linux steam games to run better on FreeBSD i made some tests with some games and observed some more fps , we will see ...
##----------------If you are interested in this project it will continue if you are not it will stop ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
##How to support this project ?
## 1) Support it by testing it , we need testers ! We need people with old hardware potato pcs and also people with top high specs computers to test it. Test it and report everythin in the sourceforge project's Discussion page ,leave a review etc
## 2) Share the videos of my channel with your friends, social media etc
-Why are you doing it ? i hear you asking !
-Because i can !
And don't forget i made this project mainly for myself (and to learn more about FreeBSD) and for any of my online friends wanna try something more spicy (usually they are scared)
Its easy to install and maintain.
I don't make this project to get any kind of profit if you want to support someone support the FreeBSD Foundation https://freebsdfoundation.org/
New Official Blog is under construction (i will start building it when i'm starting the next releases of cultbsd)
New Official Blog for my CultBSD project and my YouTube Channel (?) http://cultofbsd.fun/ I will start building it when i'm starti...
CultBSD new release Codename: UFO Cult Based on FreeBSD 13 ...
CultBSD Plasma Edition , Codename: The Supreme 1st Alpha has been already released as you already know :-) 1) New simple Graphical installe...
New Official Blog is under construction (i will start building it when i'm starting the next releases of cultbsd)New Official Blog for my CultBSD project and my YouTube Channel (?) http://cultofbsd.fun/ I will start building it when i'm starti...